Yes, certain types of boilers are covered by the Green Homes Grant. You can only get funding from this scheme through certain types of home improvements. The improvements eligible for funding help to improve both the energy efficiency and the heating of a home. Through this scheme, applicants can apply for funding to help cover the cost of numerous different improvements, including installation of a biomass boiler.
What Is a Biomass Boiler?
Biomass boilers are similar to a conventional gas boiler. However, instead of using gas, biomass boilers use wood pellets to heat up the home. These wood pellets are sourced sustainably and, when used in replacement of fossil fuels, can help to tackle climate change, as trees absorb carbon dioxide when growing, making them essentially carbon neutral when burned. Millions of tonnes of wood is dumped in landfill sites each year. If this wood was used to make wood pellets for biomass boilers, it would not only help to provide a more sustainable way of heating homes, but also reduce waste throughout landfill sites across the country.
How do Biomass Boilers Work?
Biomass boilers, like other more conventional boilers, create heat through combusting fuel, which then heats the water. These types of boilers are also typically larger than other, less sustainable boilers. This is in no small part because wood pellets are being burnt instead of gas, meaning the boiler needs to be bigger in order to adequately hold fuel.
What Else Can I Apply for Through the Green Homes Grant?
There are a huge range of different home improvements available for funding through the Green Homes Grant Scheme, grouped into primary and secondary measures.
- Insulation – from solid wall and underfloor to loft
- Air source heat pump
- Ground source heat pump
- Biomass boiler
- Solar thermal
- Hybrid heat pump
- Draught proofing
- Energy efficient replacement doors
- Glazing (double or triple)
- Secondary glazing
- Certain heating controls
- Hot water tank insulation
- Hot water tank thermostat
Funds provided by the Green Homes Grant Scheme can be used to cover the labour, materials and VAT costs associated with the specified home improvements. Certain conditions apply and you must have at least one primary measure for your home improvement plan in order to be eligible for the scheme. You can find out more about the rules and limits that apply to the scheme through our useful guide.
Green Homes Grant Scheme – Applications Invited
The Green Homes Grant Scheme is now open The government has detailed four steps for the application process, these being:
- Check eligibility: Before applying for the grant, it’s important to check whether you’re actually eligible.
- What improvements are suitable for you: You should also check to see the home improvements that may be suitable for your property before applying for the grant.
- Find professionals to carry out home improvements: Homesun can provide certified installers who will come to you and carry out the necessary works under the government’s scheme, improving your home
- Apply: Once you’ve followed the past three steps, all that’s left to do is apply!
When applying for the scheme, you’ll need to have a few details to hand, including personal details of the property owner(s), as well as quotes and details of the chosen tradesperson, TrustMark-registered.